Friday, January 28, 2011

The Jay Wright Shot

First, I want to thank Terence Mann for his blog post.  Well done.  But for all of those who are heading out to a bar to watch the game or to a game watch party in your respected cities tomorrow, I have a beverage for you, but it needs your help!

I usually have very fond memories of my time at Nova, but sometimes, sure, I have some regrets or frustrations with my time there, the school, and or the other students.  That being said last Saturday was not one of those days for several reasons – a big win, day drinking, etc.  I began the day by attending a game watch with some good friends in the area, including this guy named Skinner.  What was he doing there anyway?  After the game watch we slowly moved from bar to bar maintaining our feeling of happiness while being unsure if we were ready to fist pump at 2:30 in the afternoon.  In any event at our 3rd stop on this celebration tour, we ran into several other Nova alumni.  It just so happened we graduated the same year, and because it was Villanova, several people either knew each other or knew a close friend.

Once they had left after about 15 minutes of conversation, I realized that only alumni from very few schools would actually go up to alum and a) know friends of each other or b) would actually care and talk to someone else who went to that school.  Sure if two people from University of Idaho met in a bar in Miami they would talk, but I live near Villanova, and see Nova alum a decent amount.  The result is always the same, we talk and get to know each other a little, find a friend in common, enjoy the interaction, and buy each other a drink.  I think it is a very good thing about Nova, and something that I enjoy, at least in theory.

Ah, the drink at the end, and thus the purpose of this post.  So these guys came up with a Nova drink called the Jay Wright shot.  In a shot glass you have mostly blue razz vodka with a touch of blue curacao – for color which is a very vibrant blue.  Next you have your standard Red Bull – like a cherry bomb.  You know what happens next, but while you drink the bomb you are supposed to actually Throw Your V’s up and when you finish you say “I am going to live forever!”

Now I will give you guys credit for the creation of a Nova shot, but let’s be honest, we can do better than that.  First issue.  When you put the shot into the Red Bull it turns green.  Other than on St. Patty’s Day, no one wants to drink anything green.  Next problem.  What they hell does “I am going to live forever!” mean?  We can come up with something better than that.  I’m not going to even recommend the obvious one here – see the name of the blog – but how about “V is for Victory.”  That has to be better right?  Next issue. The name.  Now I love Jay, but what happens when he or if he leaves?  Do we make a shot for the next coach?  I wonder what a Rollie shot would be like. Couldn’t we at least call it a Nova Bomb or a Main Line?  In any event, I believe these 3 things need to change, which really is the whole shot itself.  The taste is not too bad, but I think all you guys get credit for is the idea.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I believe it was a Blueberry Vodka (no razz). And I think the "I'm going to live forever" is from a Will Farrell movie. I agree we can do better.

    ReplyDelete